- The March Challenge topic is Resizing a Quilt Block Using Graph Paper.
- Minimum of three separate Instagram posts (one photo per post).
- Choose a quilt block - an existing published design or one you created.
- Graph the block increasing or decreasing it's original size.
- Sew the resized block.
- Deadline: photos must be posted by Friday, April 7, 2017 to qualify.
- Provide details about your chosen block on the graph(s) - block name, source, original and resized measurements.
- PLEASE credit the source of the original block!
- COLOR your graph(s) :)
- Have FUN! Even if your resized block doesn't turn out as planned you still learned something NEW :)
- Bring the graph(s) and completed quilt block from your photos to the April 9, 2017 meeting for Show and Tell.
- Your 3 photo posts should include 1) a colored graph, 2) a resized sewn block, and 3) your choice - inspiration, fabric choices, process, etc.
- You may start posting photos now.
Each March challenge post must include the following elements in the photo caption:
- At least two other relevant hashtags (no spaces and no special characters are allowed within the body of IG hashtags)
Graphing and Resizing Hints:
- FPP blocks will not work for this challenge
- Choose a scale for your graph - for example 1 graph paper square = 1/4"
- Use the FINISHED dimensions of each block component when increasing/decreasing, not the cut dimensions - for example a 2" finished square doubled = 4" finished square
- Once you know the new finished dimensions of the resized block components, add the 1/4" seam allowances to get your cutting dimensions: following the example a 4" finished square will be cut as a 4.5" square
- The slides presented at the March 19 meeting contain examples of resizing blocks. You can view those slides here.
- Remember to add relevant info to your photo captions - name of the pattern, fabrics you are using, etc. The more information you can provide, the more interested people will be in your photos!
- Be extra mindful when typing your hashtags and "@crystallakemqg". If these are not correctly typed your photo(s) will not qualify for challenge prizes.
- Use a space before and after each @ or # string. Don't put spaces within the @ or # string of characters.
- You must be present at time of drawings to win prizes.
- If you complete the month's challenge requirements but are unable to attend the meeting, you will still receive your qualification button for that month but will not be entered in the monthly prize drawing.
How will you know if your photos qualify for the challenge?
- Thumbs Up emoji comment from CLMQG tells you photo meets requirements.
- Gold Star emoji comment from CLMQG means you have qualified that month with 3 correct photos
*** View all slides from the March 19, 2017 meeting Powerpoint presentation here.