We've reached the final month of construction for our Mystery Medallion quilts! Woo-hoo!
At the May 15 monthly meeting quilting tasks and color requirements for the fifth and final border were randomly drawn and announced. That's right - Lesley switched things up this month and participants will have a choice of two tasks and two colors!
The quilting tasks drawn for May were CROSS and HAND APPLIQUE. You may choose to incorporate either task into your border or go crazy and do both. Cross blocks must be an upright + not an X; the arms of your cross block can be equal (as in +) or different (as in a biblical cross). Hand applique is pretty self explanatory, but note that English Paper Piecing (EPP) is NOT hand applique. However, if you hand applique EPP shapes to your fifth border that does meet the requirement.
The Crayola crayons drawn for March were PEACH and YELLOW. You may use one or both of these colors in your May border.
- Your May border must be on all four sides of your quilt top, but all four sides are not required to be the same width.
- There are no restrictions or limitations regarding the width of your May border.
- Your May border must include hand applique OR sewn cross blocks (cross shapes printed on your fabric DO NOT qualify), and the color peach OR yellow. You may include one or several cross blocks and/or as much hand applique as you like, and you may use as much or as little of the colors peach and yellow as you like.
- If you were assigned a penalty element at the May meeting, your May borders must include that penalty in addition to the task and color requirements.
- To remain eligible for prizes you must bring your in-progress quilt with May borders sewn to the quilt top to our June 12, 2016 meeting. If you are unable to attend that meeting, you must send photos of your completed quilt top with May borders sewn to crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com by Saturday, June 11. Include a clear photo of the entire quilt top and additional detail photos showing your use of cross blocks/hand applique and peach/yellow.
- No penalties will be assigned in June - if your final May borders and quilt top are not completed on time or if you did not follow the rules of the challenge you will be disqualified and no longer eligible for prizes.
- You may not reconstruct or alter the layout of your medallion or any previous borders except to add embellishment such as embroidery, applique, trims, buttons, etc.
- The grand prize will be awarded via a random drawing at the September 2016 meeting.
- The complete set of challenge rules can be found here.
Feel free to post photos of your progress to our Facebook page and on Instagram using the hashtag #crystallakemqg :)