Monday, January 11, 2016

Member Feature - Darlene McIntyre


Tell us a little about yourself.
I grew up in Greenwich, CT and went to Lesley College in Cambridge, MA to study to become an elementary teacher with a minor in Early Ed.  Jim and I met in Florida on Spring Break, and no it wasn’t the Spring Break you hear about these days.   We had a long distance romance and we got engaged after knowing each other for 6 months and married 2 weeks after I graduated from college. We will be married for 44 years in June.

I taught second grade for 2 years and took off 9 years to raise our 2 sons, Ryan and Cory.  I went back and taught kindergarten for 18 years and retired in 2005.  I worked at the Fabric Store (for Millie) for about 7 years before I worked at Material Girl.

Our son Ryan lives in Warrenville with his wife, Betsie and their two girls Annie, age 5 and Cora, age 2.  Cory lives in Wichita with his wife Tori, 3 month old daughter Harper, and his step son Davin, age 9.  His son Nolan lives in Washington with his mom and step dad and enjoys spending time in Kansas and at our house.

How and when did you start quilting/sewing?
I have been sewing since I was about 8 years old.  I used to take my mom’s skirts apart and alter them to fit me. I sewed all of my own clothes and loved Stretch & Sew.  I started quilting about 30 years ago and took my first class at Barrington Sewing Center.  I loved the bright colors and certainly was not into traditional colors and styles of quilting.  Thank you, Sharon.

What are you most and least favorite parts of quilting?
I love selecting the fabric most of all and the anticipation of what it will look like.  I do enjoy cutting and piecing; I find it quite relaxing.  I sometimes tend to procrastinate on the quilting.

Favorite fabrics/designers/color palette?
I love brights, black and whites, and polka dots.

What quilt/s are you working on now?
Just finished Lots of Dots, and I am working on a queen sized quilt for Ryan and Betsie.     I have also done 36 blocks out of Tula Pink’s 100 Blocks book.  I intend on doing all 100.

What is on your quilting "bucket list"?
A String Quilt

Where do you sew? How often/how long each week?
I have a sewing room in the downstairs level of our home and I probably sew at least 4-5 times a week, if not every day.  Sometimes I take my featherweight out on the screened in porch and sew.  Love being out there.


Do you tend to follow patterns or make your own designs?
I tend to do both.  Rarely do I totally follow a pattern; I am always altering it in some way.

What kind of machine do you use?
I use a Janome 9000 most of the time.  I have a Pfaff on my Inspira Table when I quilt.  My favorite machine for travel is my Featherweight.

10. Tell us three things about yourself that other CLMQG members probably don't know.

  • Yoga is one of my passions.
  • I send graduation cards to my former kindergarten students when they graduate high school.  I have never missed a year, and I have 2 more years of students.
  • Jim promised that I would see the Atlantic Ocean once a year.  He has pretty much kept that promise except for 2014.

What is your most treasured/sentimental possession? 
My dad’s wooden handled golf putter.

What is your "motto" or favorite "life quote"?
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.

No comments:

Post a Comment