1. We had 32 people in attendance at our meeting on Sunday, February 8, 2015, including one guest and two new members. We currently have 38 members.
2. Treasurer’s Report: Bank balance information is provided at each meeting but will no longer be documented here due to the public nature of this website. The Executive Board is working on a budget; ask Shelley if you would like to see it.
3. Upcoming Meetings:
- March 8, 2015 ~ 1:00pm – 4:00 pm ~ A Different Box of Crayons trunk show, presentation, and vending. First quarterly UFO Challenge prize drawing and Mug Rug Swap.
- April 12, 2015 ~ 11:00am – 4:00pm ~ Open sew-in; Executive Board nominations; Demonstration by Lorrie
- May 3, 2015 ~ 11:00am – 4:00pm ~ Executive Board Elections, Open Sew-In, possible vending by Pattern Crush
- June 14, 2015 ~ time TBD ~ Summer Picnic at alternate location, possible vending by Pattern Crush (if not in May)
- July 2015 (date still tentative) mini quilt tutorial program with Nicole from Modern Handcraft
- October 11, 2015 ~ time TBD ~ lecture and trunk show with Jeni Baker from In Color Order
- March 6, 2016 ~ 10am – 1pm and 2pm – 5pm ~ Weeks Ringle from Modern Quilt Studio Chicago will be presenting two separate workshops, “The Role of Color in Your Quilts” and “Fabric Smackdown”. Registration will be required and we may use a lottery system if more than 25 people are interested in each. These will be open to the public if all seats are not filled after members have registered. See the Modern Quilt Studio website for descriptions of these two workshops.
4. Committee Update:
- Swap Committee: Mug rugs are due at the March meeting if you want to participate in this swap. Please see this post for details.
- Bees: The Cary bee met in January. They are considering having everyone in the bee use the same pattern, but different colorways, to make quilts. The Crystal Lake bee met in January and each member worked on their own projects. The Lake Zurich bee organized some donations and will be working on their mug rugs next month. Email Anuschka if you would like to join the Lake Zurich bee or start a new bee: anuschkamatthews (at) hotmail (dot) com.
- Sewcial Committee:
- Cathy and her committee are planning our summer picnic. The committee has reserved a pavilion at Oakwood Hills Park (near the intersection of 31 and 176) for our picnic on June 14. More details will be coming. Let Cathy know if you would like to help with the planning at cathyr330 (at) comcast (dot) net.
- Trisha is now handling the treat signups for our monthly meetings.
- Charity Committee: There were no quilts to deliver to our charity last month. In the past, Kelly has hand-sewn labels on the back of each charity quilt. The guild will now be providing labels, please sew one on the back of your charity quilt before you bring it as a donation. Quilts should be a minimum of 45” X 60”. Although there are no color parameters, it is preferred NOT to have all-pink quilts. Please use 100% cotton, quilt-shop quality fabric.
- Digital Liaison: Wendy gave a short summary of what she will be doing as our digital liaison. She is a resource our members can use for the MQG website. She can help you login to the site and update your profile. She recommends watching the webinars that are available to all members. You do not have to watch the webinars live; they are all available on the MQG website under the “resources” tab.
5. Upcoming Quilt Shows:
- February 19 – 22, 2015: QuiltCon 2015 in Austin, TX.
- March 19-22, 2015: Fat (Quarter) and Sassy Shop Hop
- March 26 – 28, 2015: IQF Chicago at the Rosemont Convention Center in Rosemont, IL
- April 9 – 11: Sewing Expo at the Renaissance in Schaumburg, IL
- June – August: Northern IL Quilt Fest Shop Hop
6. New Business:
- UFO Challenge: you can still register for this challenge any month between now and September. You pay $2 for each project that you register; all money raised goes to prizes for the challenge.
- CLMQG Shop Hop – The Executive Board is looking into hosting a guild shop hop, with a target date in May. We are focusing on quilt shops in the Madison area and southern WI. We plan on having this the week of May 11th. You will need to present your CLMQG membership card in order to get special discounts. More information will be coming soon!
- Cindy announced that the Crystal Lake Park District will be hosting once-a-month sew-ins at the Park District Administrative Office from 9 – 4 on Saturdays. The cost is $5 per day. You do not need to register. Upcoming dates include February 21, March 21, April 18, and May 16.
7. Several members brought quilts for show and tell. First members showed UFO Challenge quilts they have finished, then members showed other projects.
8. Lynn from Centegra Gavers Breast Center was a special guest speaker. Lynn is the liaison who receives our charity quilts and passes them on to women who are battling breast cancer. Lynn gave a huge thank you for all our guild’s work in making quilts. She said it means so much that we have chosen women in McHenry County to be the recipients of our charity quilts. When she presents a quilt to a patient, it takes their breath away that someone out there who doesn’t know them cares enough to make them a quilt. Patients feel wrapped up and nurtured by the quilts we have donated. Kelly presented Lynn with a quilt that was made by some of our guild members, which the Centegra Gavers Breast Center can use for their spring auction fundraiser.
9. Member Demonstrations: Sharon gave a demonstration on quilting in sections and Mary demonstrated how to glue-baste your quilts before machine quilting them. Mary also provided this YouTube link for more information on her method.
10. We had the sale table before and after the meeting. We raised over $190, which will go towards our summer picnic and our December Holiday Party.
Recorded by Jill Smalley, Secretary