I. We had 22 people in attendance at our meeting on Sunday, November 9, 2014, including one guest.
II. Treasurer’s Report: Bank balance information is provided at each meeting but will no longer be documented here due to the public nature of this website.
III. Upcoming Meetings:
- December 7: Holiday Party PLEASE NOTE: This is the first Sunday of the month ~ 12:30 at Village Squire ~ RSVP and $15.00 were due by today.
- SATURDAY, January 10, 2015 ~ Our first ever OFF-SITE RETREAT DAY. This will be at the Rotary Building at Veteran Acres Park in Crystal Lake (Walkup Ave just north of Route 176) from 9 am – 6 pm. Signups and details to come.
- February 8, 2015 ~ time to be determined ~ Quilt as you go with Sharon T. and Sale Table
- March 8, 2015 ~ time to be determined ~ A Different Box of Crayons trunk show, presentation, and vending
IV. Committee Update:
- Swap Committee: After the October swap, the Swap Committee realized that some people misinterpreted the guidelines. They have learned to be more specific with swap guidelines. If you would like to participate in the swap at the Holiday Party on December 7th, you can either make a small item (such as a pin cushion, pouch, or mug rug) OR buy a sewing notion (such as pins, ruler, or fabric under $10). Wrap your gift or use a gift bag with a “from” tag on the inside so the recipient knows who the gift is from. Do not put your name on the outside of the gift. Bring your gift to the December party. There is no need to sign up for this swap.
- Bees : The three bees are staying active. All three bees are at full capacity. Email Anuschka if you would like to start a new bee: anuschkamatthews (at) hotmail (dot) com.
- Workshop Committee: We are still looking for a new chairperson to help the board with organizing and planning next year’s workshops and programs. If you are interested in helping with this committee, please email us at crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com.
- Sewcial Committee:
- Cathy thanked people who brought treats today. She had a signup sheet for the next several meetings.
- Cathy and her committee are planning our Holiday Party for December 7th. This meeting will be held at Village Squire at 12:30. Payment was due at today’s meeting. The money includes lunch, coffee, tea, or soda. Alcoholic beverages will be available for an additional cost.
- We will be playing a game at the Holiday Party, so each person should bring 25 strips of fabric, cut 2 ½ inches wide by 42 inches long. These strips could all be the same fabric, but that is not necessary. Please make sure your fabric is quilt shop quality fabric.
- Members who attend the party are asked to bring some cookies for dessert.
- Let Cathy know if you want to help plan this fun event! Email her at cathyr330 (at) comcast (dot) net.
- Charity Committee: Kelly has been in contact with a lady named Lynn who works at Centegra as a Navigator. She helps women who are diagnosed with breast cancer as they go through the whole process. Before giving the quilts to Lynn, Kelly labeled each quilt with care instructions. Lynn has sent three emails, which Kelly read to the group, to tell how our donated quilts have been given to women. Quilts should be a minimum of 45” X 60”. Although there are no color parameters, it is preferred NOT to have all-pink quilts. Please use 100% cotton, quilt-shop quality fabric. Sharon requested that the Board make one of our 2015 sew-in days specifically for our charity. The Board is looking into this possibility.
V. Upcoming Quilt Shows:
- November 20-22, Original Quilt & Sewing Expo, Tinley Park, IL
- February 19 – 22, 2015, QuiltCon 2015 in Austin, TX. Online registration and quilt entry are now available at quiltcon.com.
- March 26 – 28, 2015, IQF Chicago at the Rosemont Convention Center in Rosemont, IL
VI. New Business:
- Suggestions for 2015 programs are welcome via email or discussion after the meeting. Email us at crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com.
- MQG membership in 2015: You should have received an email about this; if not, please let us know. We will be voting at the December meeting whether or not we want to remain in the MQG. We discussed that $12 - $15 per member is paid to the MQG each year (the fee is prorated for the number of members in the local guild). If we choose not to stay in the MQG, we would go back to our original membership fee of $30, which would enable us to keep more money for special speakers and events. Please email us if you have further questions at crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com.
VII. Several members brought quilts for show and tell.
VIII. Material Girl Fabric Shop presented “Tips, Tricks, and Trends” and vended.
Recorded by Jill Smalley, Secretary