1. We had 30 people in attendance at our meeting on Sunday, September 14, 2014, including two guests. One new member joined, bringing our total membership to 43.
2. Treasurer’s Report: Bank balance information is provided at each meeting but will no longer be documented here due to the public nature of this website.
3. Upcoming Meetings:
- October 12: Holiday Gift Workshop ~ 11 – 4 ~ if you are interested in demonstrating a gift idea, please email us at crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com. A material list will be posted. (UPDATE - all slots for workshops have been filled as of September 29. Thanks to our volunteers!)
- November 9: Presentation and vending by Material Girl Fabric Shop: 1 – 4 pm
- December 7: Holiday Party PLEASE NOTE: This is the first Sunday of the month ~ 12:30 at Village Squire
- January 2015 ~ off-site sew-in ~ more details to come
4. Committee Update:
- Swap Committee: Marge and Terri have volunteered to chair this committee. For next month, the swap is 3 (12.5 inch) blocks. If you didn’t sign up at the meeting, send us an email to be included in this swap (crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com).
- Bees: The Crystal Lake Bee took the summer off and will be meeting again soon. The Cary Bee made 19 Christmas stockings for members of the military. The Lake Zurich Bee went out to dinner recently. Email Anuschka if you are interested in joining one of the bees or if you would like to start a new bee: anuschkamatthews (at) hotmail (dot) com.
- Workshop Committee: We are in need of a new chairperson to help the board with organizing and planning next year’s workshops and programs. If you are interested in helping with this committee, please email us at crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com.
- Sewcial Committee:
- Cathy thanked people who brought treats today. She had a signup sheet for the October and November meetings.
- Cathy and her committee are planning our Holiday Party for December 7th. This meeting will be held at Village Squire at 12:30. The CLMQG Board will be subsidizing the cost, so each person will need to pay $15.00. Money is due by the November 9 meeting. The price includes luncheon, soda, coffee, tax, and gratuity. Wine will be available for an additional cost.
- We will be playing a game at the Holiday Party, so each person should bring 20 – 25 strips of fabric, cut 2 ½ inches wide by 42 inches long. These strips could all be the same fabric, but that is not necessary.
- If you would like to participate in a swap at the party, bring a small, gift-wrapped item (pincushion, mug rug, or sewing notion worth $10 or less).
- Members who attend the party are asked to bring some cookies for dessert. A signup sheet will be provided closer to the date.
- Let Cathy know if you want to help plan this fun event! Email her at cathyr330 (at) comcast (dot) net.
- Sale Table Committee: We will be having another sale table at our October meeting. Wendy and Lorrie will bring all the unsold items back from the July meeting. Members can also bring items to donate to the October meeting. All money raised will go directly into our account to help pay for the holiday party and other fun events. After the October meeting, all unsold items will be given to a charity.
- Charity Committee:
- After taking a vote, our new charity will be Susan G. Komen. Kelly will be our new chairwoman of this committee. She will collect quilts to be distributed to women battling breast cancer at several Chicagoland hospitals. There are no size or color parameters, but please use 100% cotton fabric. Quilts should not be too large; lap size is more appropriate.
- Barb announced that she collected 55 stockings from our guild. These stockings will be filled by another group and sent to active military members who are stationed overseas.
5. Upcoming Quilt Shows:
- Countryside Nursery Quilt Show, Crystal Lake, IL September 20 – 21. Free admission. Members are encouraged to enter their quilts in this show. There is no entry fee, no judging, and no minimum size requirement. Hanging sleeves are optional. You can drop off your quilt at Countryside the week before the show, or bring it to the September guild meeting. However, you MUST pick up your own quilt at Countryside after the show. (UPDATE - photos posted here)
- QuiltCon 2015 in Austin, TX, February 19 – 22, 2015. Online registration and quilt entry are now available at quiltcon.com.
- IQF Chicago at the Rosemont Convention Center in Rosemont, IL March 26 – 28, 2015. Note the earlier dates this year.
6. New Business:
- We will use guild funds to purchase a rolling magnet to help with our pin problem. We are also asking everyone to count how many pins you bring to each meeting and make sure you have the same number when you leave.
- IQF Chicago Exhibit: We have not received any updates from the Chicago MQG regarding the Friendship Star Challenge.
- The time zone problem on the MQG website should be fixed by September 24.
7. 2014 Block of the Month (BOM): The finished Guild BOM quilt was shown. A huge thank you to all the women who helped to make this quilt. Some members brought their version of the BOM quilt.
8. Michael Miller Challenge: Two ladies brought completed quilts from this challenge.
9. Several members brought quilts for show and tell.
10. Vending by Sew Mod during our break
11. Member Technique Demonstrations by Lorrie (embroidery), Shelley (half square triangle methods), Cari (free form piecing), and Tricia (machine binding techniques)
Recorded by Jill Smalley, Secretary