1. Membership Update: We had 25 people in attendance at our meeting on Sunday, August 10, 2014, including two guests. Two new members joined, bringing our total membership to 42.
2. Treasurer’s Report: Bank balance information is provided at each meeting but will no longer be documented here due to the public nature of this website.
3. Upcoming Meetings:
- September 14: Member Technique Demonstrations ~ 1 – 4 pm
- October 12: Holiday Gift Workshop ~ time to be determined
- November 9: Presentation and Vending by Material Girl Fabric Shop: 1 – 4 pm
- December 7: Holiday Party PLEASE NOTE: This is the first Sunday of the month ~ time and location to be determined
- January 10, 2015 ~ time to be determined
4. Committee Updates:
- Swap Committee: Debby is no longer able to be the chair, so we are in need of someone to head up our swaps. If you are interested in helping with this committee, please email us at crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com.
- Bees: Anuschka M., our Bee Keeper, announced that there are three bees: one meets in Lake Zurich the first Tuesday of each month at 7:00 pm; a second meets in Crystal Lake on Monday afternoons; the third bee meets in Cary on Wednesday evenings. The Cary bee is at full capacity. Email her if you are interested in joining one of the bees or starting a new bee: anuschkamatthews (at) hotmail (dot) com. This is a great way to promote modern quilting with others.
- Workshop Committee: We are in need of a new chairperson to help the board with organizing and planning next year’s workshops and programs. If you are interested in helping with this committee, please email us at crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com.
- Sewcial Committee: Cathy thanked people who brought treats today. She had a signup sheet for the October and November meetings. Cathy and her committee have already started planning our Holiday Party for December 7th. They are planning on having this year’s party at a different location than the bank. They are looking at three different possible locations. The cost would probably be between $17 and $25 per person. Let Cathy know if you want to help plan this fun event! Email her at cathyr330 (at) comcast (dot) net.
- Sale Table Committee: We will be having another sale table at our October meeting. Wendy and Lorrie will bring all the unsold items back from the July meeting. Members can also bring additional items to donate to the October meeting. All money raised will go directly into our account to help pay for the holiday party and other fun events. After the October meeting, all unsold items will be given to a charity.
- Charity Committee:
- We are still taking ideas for a new charity for our guild to donate to. We will be making a decision in September. If you know of a worthy charity/ies that we could support, please send an email to crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com. We would like to avoid supporting a charity that another local guild already supports such as Project Linus and Quilts of Valor. If you are interested in heading the Charity Committee please let us know.
- Last month, Kelly L. mentioned possibly donating quilts to Susan G. Komen to be distributed to women battling breast cancer.
- Debbie W. mentioned possibly donating quilts to Quilts Beyond Borders, a non-profit organization that gives quilts to children in orphanages around the world. More information can be found at quiltsbeyondborders.org.
- Barb explained a short-term charity project members can participate in: making stockings out of patriotic or holiday fabrics which will be filled by another group and sent to active military members who are stationed overseas. The stockings will be collected at the September meeting. Email Barb at bfreeman1 (at) aol (dot) com if you would like a copy of the pattern; the stockings take about half an hour each to make.
5. Upcoming Quilt Shows:
- AQS in Grand Rapids, MI, August 20-23
- WPT Quilt Expo in Madison, WI September 4 – 6
- Countryside Nursery Quilt Show, Crystal Lake, IL September 20 – 21. Free admission. Members are encouraged to enter their quilts in this show. There is no entry fee, no judging, and no minimum size requirement. Hanging sleeves are optional. You can drop off your quilt at Countryside the week before the show, or bring it to the September guild meeting. However, you MUST pick up your own quilt at Countryside after the show.
- QuiltCon 2015 in Austin, TX, February 19 – 22, 2015. Online registration and quilt entry are now available at quiltcon.com.
- IQF Chicago at the Rosemont Convention Center in Rosemont, IL March 26 – 28, 2015. Note the earlier dates this year.
6. New Business:
- Check our page on the MQG Members section soon for a poll of what you would like to see for the September Member Techniques demonstrations and for the holiday gift workshop in October. PLEASE NOTE: It will be very important for you to RSVP on the MQG website if you are coming to either event. Details will follow as we get closer to the dates.
- We discussed our pin problem. Some possible solutions include using guild funds to purchase a rolling magnet (approximately $33); only allowing flower head pins, since the larger heads would theoretically be easier to see; not allowing any pins at our meetings; only allowing Clover Wonder Clips; count your pins. If you have any other suggestions, please email us at crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com.
- We need volunteers to help finish our guild’s BOM quilt. We will not be raffling this quilt at the Countryside Quilt Show, as we would need a raffle license. However, we would like to be able to display our guild quilt at the show.
- IQF Chicago Exhibit: Our guild has been invited to partner with the Chicago MQG and the Naperville MQG for a special exhibit at the 2015 IQF Chicago show. The theme is Friendship Stars made Modern. Each member of our guild has the opportunity to make a quilt for consideration. The due date will be sometime in December. More info to come.
- We are talking with the Chicago MQG about possibly doing a Quilt-Along and having joint sew-ins with their guild in 2015.
- Sewing Retreat Day: January 2015. This would not be at the bank. It would be an all-day sewing time, with a quilt project that everyone would make. More details to come.
- We are also looking into hosting a weekend retreat either Fall 2015 or Spring 2016.
- Lynn Cibulka from “A Different Box of Crayons” will be speaking at our March 2015 meeting.
7. 2014 Block of the Month (BOM): Lorrie M. demonstrated the last block for this year: Molecular Hexies. Directions and photographs have been posted on our blog; click the “BOM” label at the top of the blog to be taken to the page. All members are encouraged to play along with the BOM program.
8. Reminder: We need members to be featured on our blog! If you are interested, email us at crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com.
9. Michael Miller Challenge: Three ladies brought completed quilts from this challenge. MQG has issued two new challenges for QuiltCon: Michael Miller Spring Cotton Couture and Panasonic Bias Tape Applique. These challenges are for individuals, not through local guilds. More information is on the MQG website.
10. Several members brought quilts for show and tell.
Recorded by Jill Smalley, Secretary