1. We had 27 people in attendance at our meeting on Sunday, July 13, 2014, including one guest. Our total membership is 40.
2. We started the meeting with an indoor potluck/picnic. Special thanks to Cathy R. and her Sewcial Committee for organizing this fun event. At the same time, we had our first ever Sale Table. Many members brought unwanted fabric, magazines, books, and other quilt stuff which was then sold at very low prices. Thanks to Wendy and Lorrie for organizing this table.
3. Treasurer’s Report: Bank balance information is provided at each meeting but will no longer be documented here due to the public nature of this website.
4. Upcoming Meetings:
- August 10th, from 1:00 – 4:00: Final BOM presentation; Bring what you have done so far for the BOM; Bring your Michael Miller Challenge project for Show and Tell. We have had a second warning from the bank about pins found on the floor, so we will not be having a sew-in on this date. We need to find a solution to this problem before we host more sew-ins.
- September 14: Member Technique Demonstrations
- October 12: Holiday Gift Workshop
- November 9: Presentation and Vending by Material Girl Fabric Shop
- December: Holiday Party
5. Committee Update:
- Swap Committee: The five people who brought potholders swapped those. Debby is working on another swap; details to come at our August meeting.
- Anuschka M., our Bee Keeper, announced that there are three bees: one meets in Lake Zurich the first Tuesday of each month at 7:00 pm; a second meets in Crystal Lake on Monday afternoons; the third bee meets in Cary on Wednesday evenings. The Cary bee is at full capacity. Email her if you are interested in joining one of the bees: anuschkamatthews (at) hotmail (dot) com. This is a great way to promote modern quilting with others.
- Ann and Bobbie, our Workshop Wranglers, are discussing different workshop possibilities.
- The Sewcial Committee has already started planning our December Holiday Party. Let Cathy know if you want to help plan this fun event! Email her at cathyr330 (at) comcast (dot) net.
- Sale Table Committee: We raised $85 at today’s sale table! This money is all going directly into our account to help pay for the holiday party and other fun events. Wendy and Lorrie will bring all the unsold items back to our October sale table, for members who were not at today’s meeting. After that date, all unsold items will be given to a charity.
- Charity Committee:
- We are still taking ideas for a new charity for our guild to donate to. We will be making a decision in September. If you know of a worthy charity/ies that we could support, please send an email to crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com. We would like to avoid supporting a charity that another local guild already supports such as Project Linus and Quilts of Valor. If you are interested in heading the Charity Committee please let us know.
- Kelly gave a personal account of a quilt she donated to a friend battling breast cancer and recommended we support Susan G. Komen by donating finished quilts to be distributed to women battling breast cancer in the greater Chicagoland area. She also volunteered to head the effort if we select this charity.
- Barb explained a short-term charity project members can participate in: making stockings out of patriotic or holiday fabrics which will be filled by another group and sent to active military members who are stationed overseas. The stockings will be collected at the August and September meetings. Email Barb at bfreeman1 (at) aol (dot) com if you would like a copy of the pattern; the stockings take about half an hour each to make.
6. Upcoming Quilt Shows:
- Upper Midwest Machine Quilt Show in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, August 7 - 9
- AQS in Grand Rapids, MI, August 20-23
- QuiltCon 2015 in Austin, TX, February 19 – 22, 2015. Check quiltcon.com soon for submission details if you would like to enter a quilt in this show
7. New Business: if you have an idea to demonstrate for the Member Techniques in September or for the holiday gift workshop in October, please bring photos to our August meeting so we can take a poll of who is interested in which techniques.
- Michael Miller Challenge Update: The deadline has been extended to July 25th. Winners will be announced August 8th. To enter, upload a photo of your project (anything quilted) to the fabric challenge forum on the MQG website. We have posted directions for uploading your photo on our blog. If you signed up and do not use your fabric, please return it to the guild so it can be used for our charity.
9. 2014 Block of the Month (BOM): Shelley presented the two blocks for July, since Darlene was not able to be at the meeting to show her block. Directions and photographs have been posted on our blog; click the “BOM” label at the top of the blog to be taken to the page. All members are encouraged to play along with the BOM program.
10. Member Trunk Shows were presented by Lorrie M, Paige P, Bobbie C, Sharon T, Kathy P, and Karen L. We were entertained hearing and seeing how these members have evolved in their quilt-making. Three other ladies each brought a quilt for show and tell.
Recorded by Jill Smalley, Secretary