1. We had 21 people in attendance at our June 8, 2014 meeting.
2. Treasurer’s Report: Bank balance information is provided at each meeting but will no longer be documented here due to the public nature of this website.
3. Upcoming meetings:
- July 13, Noon - 4:00pm. Indoor picnic with potluck foods and games planned by the Sewcial Committee. Member quilt trunk shows. Sale Table. BOM blocks 10 and 11 presented. See Committee Updates below for information on signing up to bring a dish and what you can bring for the sale table.
- August 10, 11:00am - 4:00pm. Final BOM block presented and Sew-In. Last sew-in chance to finish your BOM quilts in time for the Countryside Nursery Quilt Show in September!
- September 14, Time TBD. A few members will present different quilting techniques in mini-workshops to attendees.
- October - Holiday Gift Workshops presented by members. If you have an idea for a gift that could be demonstrated please email us at crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com.
- November - Presentation and vending by Material Girl Fabric Shop
- December - Holiday Party
4. Committee updates:
- Swaps - Debby Greening. Charm square packs from the May meeting swap were distributed. Each participant received a great variety of 56 bright and modern 5" charm squares. In July there will be a potholder swap to tie-in with our Picnic theme. You do not need to sign up, just make your potholder and bring it to the meeting to swap. Email Debby at deb (at) greening1 (dot) com with questions or future swap ideas.
- Bees - Anuschka Matthews. The Cary Bee is at full capacity with 8 members and meets regularly once a month. The Crystal Lake Bee had their first meeting in May with 4 members. The Lake Zurich Bee meets monthly on a Thursday evening with room for more members. Send an email to anuschkamatthews (at) hotmail (dot) com if you are interested in joining or starting a bee group.
- Workshops - Ann Keck and Bobbie Corpolongo. No update.
- Sewcial - Cathy Roberts. July meeting will be an indoor picnic with sandwiches provided and members asked to bring either a salad or dessert item. A sign-up sheet was passed around at the meeting. If you plan to attend the July meeting and were unable to sign-up to bring a food item, please contact Cathy at cathyr330 (at) comcast (dot) net. Planning is already underway for our December Holiday Party.
- Sale Table - Wendy Pawalek and Lorrie McKey. CLMQG will hold its first (hopefully quarterly) sale table at the July meeting. Please bring any quilting/sewing related books, patterns, magazines, knick-knacks, notions, rulers, or tools that you'd like to get out of your house and we'll set up an area for all members to shop. Prices have been pre-determined by the committee with books likely priced at $1 each/6 for $5 and magazines at $0.25 each/6 for $1. Fabric may also be donated to the sale table, but please indicate the quantity of each cut with a tag before donating. Wendy and Lorrie will set a pricing standard for fabric and may bundle some items for easier display and sale. CASH only for purchases. All proceeds will be deposited directly to the CLMQG bank account to be used for future programs and events.
- Charity - due to personal reasons Laura Watts is no longer able to hold the position of Charity Chief. This post vacancy also loses our connection to the sources of bags, books, and stuffed animals for Project Night Night. Since we have supported PNN for one full year, the CLMQG Board has decided to investigate new charities to support. The suggestion was made that for the next year we may focus on an elderly charity. If you know of a worthy charity/ies that we could support, please send an email to crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com. We would like to avoid supporting a charity that another local guild already supports such as Project Linus and Quilts of Valor. If you are interested in heading the Charity Committee please let us know.
5. Upcoming quilt shows and events:
- International Quilt Festival Chicago in Rosemont, June 19 – 21, 2014
- Northern Illinois Quilt Shop Hop, June - August, 2014
- “Threads from Past to Present” in Batavia, July 18 – 20
- Upper Midwest Machine Quilt Show in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, August 7 - 9
- AQS Quilt Week in Grand Rapids, MI, August 20-23
- QuiltCon 2015 in Austin, TX, February 19 – 22, 2015. Check quiltcon.com soon for submission details if you would like to enter a quilt in this show
6. New Business:
- Look for two separate polls to be posted soon on our CLMQG page of the MQG website regarding the September Member Technique Workshops and the October Gift Idea Workshops.
- Several proposals for technique/gifts to be presented will be posted, and you will be asked to vote for your favorites.
- Since our meeting space is limited, we will need to limit the number of technique and gift workshops we can offer. So it is very important that you vote in order for us to present the techniques and workshops you most want to see!
7. Michael Miller Fabric Challenge reminder - project deadline is July 25 with winners announced August 8. Photos of your completed project must be posted to the MQG website "Finished Michael Miller Fabric Challenge" discussion thread for contest consideration. Please bring your completed project to the July or August meeting for show and tell. If you are unable to complete your project please donate your fabric to CLMQG for use in future charity projects.
8. Sharon Turskey presented BOM Block #8 - Woven Chevron. Directions with photos posted here.
9. Karen Lazarra presented BOM Block #9 - a block that she designed. Directions with photos posted here.
10. The Countryside Nursery Quilt Show is scheduled for September 20 and 21, 2014. We hope to have several members show their quilts, especially their completed BOM quilts. Last year we had great participation in this show from our members, and that generated significant interest from the community in our guild!
11. Show and Tell followed.
12. Lesley Gebbie presented a machine wool applique technique workshop to a group of members while others worked on individual projects at our sew-in.
13. Donna from SewMoving.com brought her truck full of fabric goodies to the bank parking lot, and we shopped outside in the beautiful weather. Many thanks to Donna and her family for providing us with a unique fabric shopping experience!
Recorded by Judy Otero and Shelley Nielsen