1. We had 36 people in attendance at our meeting on Sunday, May 4, 2014. Thirty-two people renewed their membership and 4 new members joined. Our total membership for the 2014 year is 36.
2. Treasurer’s Report: Bank balance information is provided at each meeting but will no longer be documented here due to the public nature of this website.
3. Board Member Elections: The candidates were presented to the members and then voted upon. Our Board will remain the same for this year:
- President: Paige P.
- Vice President: Shelley N.
- Treasurer: Judy O.
- Secretary: Jill S.
4. Michael Miller Challenge Update: The deadline has been extended to July 25th. Winners will be announced August 8th. Any solid or Michael Miller printed fabric can be added to the fabrics that were given out. You do not need to use all of the fabrics that were in the package. To enter, upload a photo of your project (anything quilted) to the fabric challenge forum on the MQG website. Three winners will be chosen; each will receive a year’s worth of free fabric. If you signed up to participate in the challenge and have changed your mind please do not use your fabric - return it to the guild so it can be used for our charity. A member said that an online store, Superior Threads, has this whole line of fabrics available for purchase.
5. Upcoming Meetings:
- June 8, 2014: Leslie G will be teaching a workshop on machine wool applique from 1:00 – 4:00 (Please note the later start time). She will have a kit of fabrics for this “modern and simple” applique. The kit will cost $7.00. Check our guild’s page on the MQG website for signups. SewMoving.com will be vending. The owner, Donna, will bring a truck full of goodies and park in the parking lot for us to go out and shop.
- July 13, 2014. Possible outdoor picnic - location will be announced closer to the meeting date. We are considering having a few members do “trunk shows” to show their evolution as quilters. Please email us if you are interested in speaking at this meeting: crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com. We will also be having a Sale Table at our July meeting. Members can donate magazines, books, patterns, notions, and quilting knick knacks. There will be a set price list. Other members can purchase items with cash only. Whatever is left will be donated to one of three local charity/thrift shops. The proceeds from the Sale Table will go to the guild to help pay for our holiday party and other fun things.
- August 10, 2014: Final BOM presentation; BOM sew-in; Bring your Michael Miller Challenge project for Show and Tell.
- September: Member Technique Workshop: if you are interested in demonstrating a modern quilting technique, email us at crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com
- October: Holiday Gift Workshop
- November: Presentation by Material Girl Fabric Shop
- December: Holiday Party
6. Committee Update:
- Laura W, Charity Chief, announced that she received 5 quilts for Project Night Night last month. Five more were brought to the meeting today. She was also given some tops which need to be quilted. Right now, all three Police Departments that we donate quilts to are full. Quilts should be 40X50 or 50X60. If you are working on a quilt for this charity, please email Laura to let her know ljbenz2003 (at) yahoo (dot) com.
- Debby G, Swap Swami, collected 5x5-inch charm squares for our current swap. Twenty six people participated. Debby will redistribute the new charm packs at the June meeting. The three people who participated in our mini-quilt swap exchanged their quilts.
- Anuschka M, our Bee Keeper, announced that there are three bees: one meets in Lake Zurich the first Tuesday of each month at 7:00 pm; a second meets in Crystal Lake on Monday afternoons; the third bee meets in Cary on Wednesday evenings. The Cary bee is at full capacity. Email her if you are interested in joining one of the bees: anuschkamatthews (at) hotmail (dot) com. This is a great way to promote modern quilting with others.
- Ann K and Bobbie C, our Workshop Wranglers, are looking into a possible binding workshop. There was some discussion on how to run this.
- Cathy R, our Sewcial Committee Chair, announced that 7 members met up at the Crystal Lake Ladies’ Night Out. Cathy asked if people would be interested in having a picnic, maybe for our July meeting.
7. Upcoming Quilt Shows and Events
- International Quilt Festival Chicago in Rosemont, June 19 – 21, 2014
- Northern Illinois Quilt Shop Hop, June - August, 2014
- “Threads from Past to Present” in Batavia, July 18 – 20
- Upper Midwest Machine Quilt Show in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, August 7 - 9
- AQS Quilt Week in Grand Rapids, MI, August 20-23
- QuiltCon 2015 in Austin, TX, February 19 – 22, 2015. Check quiltcon.com soon for submission details if you would like to enter a quilt in this show
- We are still looking for volunteers for member profiles on our blog and for the July trunk show. If you are interested in either of these opportunities, please email us at: crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com
- If you have a blog, please add the CLMQG and MQG logos and links to your blog.
9. 2014 Block of the Month (BOM): Lorrie presented the May block, “Rolling Diamonds”. Directions and photographs have been posted on our blog; click the “BOM” label at the top of the blog to be taken to the page. All members are encouraged to play along with the BOM program.
10. Show and Tell: Several members brought lovely quilts to share.
11. The meeting portion ended, and we had a brief party to celebrate our guild’s official first anniversary.
12. During the sew-in, members worked on various projects.
Recorded by Jill Smalley, Secretary