1. We had 25 people in attendance at our meeting on Sunday, January 12, 2014, including 2 visitors. We had one new member join, bringing our total membership to 57.
2. Treasurer’s Report: We had no expenses during the past month, so we still have $1296 in our guild checking account.
3. Upcoming Meetings:
- February 9, 2014: After our business meeting, we will have a paper piecing workshop, featuring the “economy block.” This will be followed by a sew-in. Bring whatever project you would like to work on. This meeting will be from 11:00 – 4:00.
- March 16, 2014: Project Night Night Sew-in. Bring your current Project Night Night quilt to work on from 11:00 – 4:00.
- April 13, 2014: Workshop. Details to come.
- May 4, 2014: 2014 Membership fees are due; Board member elections. More information to come.
4. Committee Update:
- Laura Watts, Charity Chief, announced that Crystal Lake is in need of more quilts for Project Night Night. They have given away all the bags they had. If you are working on a quilt for this charity, please email Laura to let her know ljbenz2003 (at) yahoo (dot) com. Darlene McIntyre thanked everyone for all the quilts that were donated to the Washington, IL tornado victims.
- Anuschka Matthews, our Bee Keeper, announced that she will begin forming bees based on geographical location of where members live. If you are interested in joining a bee (small group that gets together to sew), please email her at anuschkamatthews (at) hotmail (dot) com. This is a great way to promote modern quilting with others.
- Debby Greening has volunteered to lead the Swap Committee as our "Swap Swami". We are in need of a committee chair for our workshop/program committee. Please email us at crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com if you are interested in helping with this volunteer position.
5. Upcoming Quilt Shows:
- Salt Creek Quilters Guild in Clarendon Hills, March 1 – 2, 2014
- Pride of the Prairie Quilters in Crest Hill, March 8 – 9, 2014
- Q.U.I.L.T.S. in Action at the Springfield Fairgrounds, March 14 – 15, 2014
- Original Sewing and Quilt Festival in Schaumburg, March 27 – 29, 2014
- International Quilt Festival Chicago in Rosemont, June 19 – 21, 2014
6. New Business:
- Paige and Shelley explained the Modern Quilt Guild Affiliation Membership. They handed out a paper explaining what this means for our guild. If you are a paid member, but were not at the January meeting and would like a copy of this document, please email us at crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com and we'll be happy to email a copy to you.
- We started our 2014 Block of the Month (BOM) program in January. Karen Lazarra presented the January block, which she designed. Directions and photographs have been posted on our blog; click the “BOM” label at the top of the blog to be taken to the page. The February block will be posted next month. All members are encouraged to play along with the BOM program. This would work well as a scrappy quilt. If you would rather purchase all your fabric now, Paige recommends that you get ½ yard each of four fabrics and 1 yard of your background fabric.
7. Show and Tell: Several members brought beautiful quilts to share.
8. Reminder: Please make and wear your nametag to each meeting.
9. The meeting portion ended, and we had a brief social time and sew-in set-up. During the sew-in, some of our members made their January BOM blocks.
Recorded by Jill Smalley, Secretary