2. Membership Update: Our current membership total is 48.
3. Treasurer’s Report: We have $1450 in our guild checking account.
4. Upcoming Meetings:
- Jacquie Gering of Tallgrass Prairie Studio will present a lecture and trunk show on November 10, from 1:00 – 4:00pm. There will be a $5.00 fee for all non-members.
- December 8th will be our holiday party.
- We will have a sew-in after our meeting on January 12, 2014.
- We are in the planning stages for our 2014 meetings. If you have any ideas or suggestions, please email them to crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com.
5. Committee Update:
- Laura Watts, Charity Chief, delivered 9 bags to the Crystal Lake Police Department for Project Night Night. Laura has a need for more boy or gender-neutral quilts. Please email Laura if you are working on a quilt for this charity ljbenz2003 (at) yahoo (dot) com.
- Swaps: Kara Overman announced that there will be an ornament swap at our meeting next month. You do not need to sign up. If you want to participate, bring a homemade, wrapped ornament. There will be a mug rug swap in January; sign ups for that will be at the December meeting.
- Cathy Roberts gave an update of her committee’s plans for the December holiday party:
- A sign-up sheet was passed around for people to sign up to bring appetizers, desserts, or beverages (non-alcoholic, per the bank’s rules).
- We will be playing a fabric Bingo game (with prizes!), and in order to participate you must make your own Bingo card and bring it in December. Also bring buttons or other markers. If you didn’t get directions for making your Bingo card, they can be downloaded in PDF form here.
- There will be a white elephant UFO exchange. To participate, bring any quilting UFO (UnFinished Object) of a minimum table runner-sized to maximum bed-sized quilt in a paper bag and then bring home someone else’s UFO.
- For Show and Tell in December, bring your favorite holiday quilt.
- We are still in need of committee chairs for some of our committees. Please email us at crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com if you are interested in helping with one of these committees:
- Bee Keeper
- Workshop Wrangler
- Quilt Show
6. Upcoming Quilt Shows:
- Village Quilters of Lake Bluff/Lake Forest, Friday and Saturday, October 25 – 26 at the Libertyville Sports Complex
- International Quilt Festival Houston, October 31 – November 3
- Illinois/Wisconsin Bus Exchange, Saturday and Sunday, November 2 – 3
7. New Business:
- We discussed starting a Block of the Month (BOM) program in January. Each month directions will be given at the meeting and here on the website for a block designed by a CLMQG member. All members have the opportunity to submit a plan for a 12” block using modern designs. All block designs will be chosen and scheduled before the program begins. More information will be coming in November. If you are interested in submitting a block design, please email Shelley at crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com
- Several of our members brought quilts to be shown in the CLMQG portion of the Countryside Nursery Quilt Show in Crystal Lake on Saturday and Sunday, September 21-22. We received a lot of good feedback from this show as well as new visitors to our meeting, and we are planning on participating again next year. Countryside told the guild that we could raffle a quilt at the show in 2014. We will be discussing this more at future meetings.
- Shelley mentioned the idea of having a sale table once per quarter. Members can donate unwanted fabrics, books, and magazines, and those items will be sold at a low price, with the money going back into the guild, possibly to help pay for next year’s holiday party. Email us if you would like to help organize this. crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com
- A gentle reminder was given to make sure you thoroughly clean up your sewing area when we have workshops and sew-ins. Shelley received a phone call after our September meeting that another group was in the room after us and several people stepped on pins while walking around barefoot. We do not have an alternate meeting place, so we need to stay off of the bank’s naughty list and keep our fabulous meeting space.
8. Show and Tell:
- Many people brought a favorite book or magazine to share inspiration photos, including these titles:
- Free Motion Quilting by Angela Walters
- “Modern Quilts Unlimited” magazine
- “Quilty” magazine
- “Make It Modern” magazine published by BH&G American Patchwork and Quilting
- Pieced Hexies by Mickey Depre
- Big Blocks, Big Style and Fast & Furious Holiday by Gudrun Erla
- “Quilting Quickly” magazine by Fons & Porter
- Kaleidoscope of Quilts by Kaffe Fassett
- Several people brought projects to show. Photos are posted on our Facebook page here. Remember, you do not need to be a Facebook subscriber to view our photos or any part of the CLMQG Facebook page!
9. Schoolhouse Workshop Challenge Requirements and PRIZES!
- To enter, bring a finished (including the binding) quilted project at least 36” square or larger, which incorporates at least one technique from our September workshop.
- These are due November 10 during our meeting with Jacquie Gering.
- PRIZES! We will have a written vote for “viewers’ choice.” The top three quilt makers will win one of these fabulous prizes:
- a bundle of 8 shot cotton fat quarters (donated by Material Girl)
- Jacquie Gering’s book, Quilting Modern
- and a third prize to be announced
We broke for a short social time and to get set up for the workshop.
10. Machine Quilting Workshop: Paige taught us some awesome free-motion quilting techniques.
Don’t forget to make and wear a name tag!
Recorded by Jill Smalley, Secretary