1. We had 28 people in attendance at our meeting on Sunday, September 15, 2013. Three new members joined, bringing our total membership to 48. Shelley reminded us that guild members are eligible for discounts at JoAnn and Hancock Fabrics. Show your membership card at the store(s) to sign up.
2. Treasurer’s Report: We have $1375 in our guild checking account.
3. Upcoming Meetings:
- We will be hosting a Machine Quilting Workshop led by Paige on October 13 from 11:00 – 4:00.
- Jacquie Gering of Tallgrass Prairie Studio will present a lecture and trunk show on November 10. There will be a $5.00 fee for all visitors and non-members.
- We voted on what the guild wants to do for our holiday party in December. It was decided to have a potluck party on Sunday, December 8 at Home State Bank. We will have food sign-ups and more details next month.
- We are in the planning stages for our 2014 meetings. If you have any ideas or suggestions, please email them to crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com
4. Committee Update:
- Laura Watts, Charity Chief, collected 4 quilts today for Project Night Night. Please email Laura if you are working on a quilt for this charity at ljbenz2003 (at) yahoo (dot) com. Our Facebook page has a photo of the first delivery of 12 Project Night Night bags. They were donated to the Lake in the Hills Police Department. The next donation will be made to the Crystal Lake Police Department.
- Cathy Roberts has volunteered to be in charge of our December holiday party. Two other members also volunteered and are helping her coordinate the food sign-ups and activities for this fun event.
- We have had no further indications of interest in the Yard Sale. Please let us know whether or not you are interested in participating in a quilting goods yard sale. We do not want to plan one if there is not sufficient interest.
- Paige mentioned that we would like to have a Quilt Show in the next year.
- We are still in need of committee chairs for some of our committees. Please email us at crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com if you are interested in helping with one of these committees:
- Bee Keeper
- Workshop Wrangler
5. Upcoming Quilt Shows:
- Countryside Nursery in Crystal Lake hosted a quilt show Saturday and Sunday, September 21-22. Several of our members brought quilts to be part of the CLMQG area of the show. Photos from the show are posted here on our Facebook page. You do not need to have a Facebook account to view our photos.
- Illinois/Wisconsin Bus Exchange, Saturday and Sunday, November 2 - 3. Several area shops are participating in this weekend bus trip to 8 quilt shops in Wisconsin. You can get more information at Quilt in Joy and Pieceful Gatherings quilt shops.
6. Pattern swap: Six people participated in our pattern swap this meeting.
7. Show and Tell: Several people brought projects to show. Photos are posted here on the Facebook page. Remember, you do not need to be a Facebook subscriber to view our photos or any part of the CLMQG Facebook page! For next month's show and tell members are asked to also bring a favorite quilting book or magazine that inspires them.
8. We are hosting another challenge: the Schoolhouse Workshop Challenge. To enter, you need to bring a finished (including the binding) quilt, at least 36” square or larger, which incorporates at least one technique from our workshop today. These are due at the November 10 meeting with Jacquie Gering.
9. Please note that replies to the notification emails generated by a new blog post on our website do not come to our account. If you need to contact us, please email us directly at crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com.
10. We broke for a short social time and to get set up for the workshop.
11. Modern Quilter’s Schoolhouse Workshop: Shelley, Jill, and Judy taught us how to make 3 types of improv blocks: stars, 9-patch, and fractured.
12. Don’t forget to make and wear a nametag!
Recorded by Jill Smalley, Secretary