II. We had 23 people in attendance. Five new members joined, bringing our total membership to 41.
III. Faith Jones of Fresh Lemons Quilts gave us an informative lecture about what modern quilts are all about. She also had a trunk show of many of her quilts, several of which were familiar from magazines and books. She briefly talked about the new book she has co-authored with Katie Clark Blakesley and Lee Heinrich, Vintage Quilt Revival, which will be released later this fall.
IV. Show and Tell: Several people brought projects to show for the Improv Log Cabin Challenge. Some other quilts were also shown. Photos will be posted on the Facebook page soon. **Anyone can access our Facebook page, even those without a Facebook account. Use this link to access our page where you can view all of our photos: https://www.facebook.com/CrystalLakeModernQuiltGuild
V. Treasurer’s Report: We have $1300 in our guild checking account.
VI. Upcoming Meetings
- Our August 11 meeting will feature Leslie Gebbie from Acorn, Etc. in Rockford (formerly Acorn Quilts). She will be having a trunk show, telling about her award winning Border Challenge quilt, and vending. This meeting will be from 1:00pm – 4:00pm.
- On September 15, we will have a workshop from 11:00am – 4:00pm featuring "Schoolhouse" mini-lessons about how to make 3 types of improv blocks: stars, fractured, and 9-patch, followed by a sew-in. Supply lists will be posted closer to the date.
- We will be hosting a Machine Quilting Workshop on October 13 from 11:00am – 4:00pm.
- Jacquie Gering of Tallgrass Prairie Studio will be our special speaker in November. Tentative date is November 10 and will be confirmed at the beginning of August.
- We discussed the possibility of a December social gathering in lieu of a regular meeting, maybe even on a Friday evening. Members are asked to forward any location and/or program ideas to the board by emailing us at crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com
- The possibility of an early 2014 yard sale was discussed. More information will be coming. Please let us know via email if you would or would not be interested in participating in such an event.
VII. Committee Update:
- Laura Watts, Charity Chief, passed out information sheets about Project Night Night, the charity we will be supporting. (Look for a separate post later containing this information.) Laura would like to collect 10 quilts every two months, if possible. Please email Laura if you are working on a quilt for this charity at ljbenz2003 (at) yahoo (dot) com
- We are still in need of committee chairs for most of our committees. Please email us at crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com if you have questions about or are interested in helping with one of these committees:
ii. Workshop Wrangler
iii. Show Boss
VIII. International Quilt Fest was discussed. Guild President Paige gave a summary of the MQG Meet Up that was held Friday, June 21st. Paige passed out some samples that she had received at the meet up.
IX. Fat quarter swap: This month's theme was "red, white, or blue". Since there has been low participation with this swap, we discussed whether or not to continue this. It was voted that for August, we will do a pattern swap instead. If you would like to participate, please bring a pattern for a modern or modern-traditional quilt to swap. The patterns should be new or fairly new.
X. About Town - news about quilt-related events in the area:
- Quiltology shop in Chicago is closing and currently having an inventory clearance sale.
- The Needle Shop in Chicago has a new location with expanded retail and classroom space at 738 North Lincoln Ave, Chicago, IL, 60613.
XI. Don’t forget to make and wear a nametag!
Recorded by Jill Smalley, Secretary