I. Today we started the membership process. Everyone who attended Sunday also joined the guild. For those who have not joined, the details include:
- annual fee of $30
- membership is effective May, 2013 - April, 2014
- members may attend all meetings free of charge (additional nominal fees may apply for special workshops/classes/speakers)
- first time attendees may come to one meeting for free (unless a special workshop or speaker is scheduled, then a fee may apply), the second meeting may be attended for a $5 fee, and any subsequent meetings will require membership. Guest fees cannot be applied toward the membership fee.
- membership is open to anyone 18 years old and up
- By-Laws can be found here.
II. Starting next year, the Executive Board will be nominated and voted on. Members will serve a one-year term. This year’s Executive Board consists of:
- President: Paige Prescott
- Vice President: Shelley Nielsen
- Secretary: Jill Smalley
- Treasurer: Judy Otero
- Laura Watts has volunteered to be our Charity Chief and to assist as Swap Swami.
- We are still in need of committee chairs for most of our committees. Please email us at crystallakemqg (at) gmail (dot) com if you are interested in helping with one of these committees:
- Bee Keeper
- Swap Swami
- Workshop Wrangler
- Show Boss
- Karen Snell announced a pincushion swap. Details can be found here. The deadline to sign up is Wednesday, May 15 and all pincushions should be brought to our next meeting on Sunday, June 9. If you can't make it to the meeting but have a completed pincushion, please ask a friend to bring it for you.
IV. Our June meeting will be held at Home State Bank on Sunday, June 9 from 1:00 – 4:00. The meeting agenda is still to be determined. We are planning a guild social on Sunday, June 30 from 1:00 – 4:00; details will be coming.
V. Fundraising Quilt Basket Chinese Auction - Two baskets were presented containing quilting goodies donated by the following local shops:
- Material Girl
- Quilt in Joy
- Pieceful Gatherings
- Stitching on State
- Acorn Quilts
- A Touch of Amish
- Prairie Shop Quilts
- Sew Generously
- SewMod Designs (online)
The purpose of this auction is to raise funds for the guild to pay for workshops and speakers - some of which have already been contracted and scheduled. You may purchase chances again at the June meeting - $5 for 5 chances. You may purchase as many increments of 5 chances as you wish. After filling in your name and phone number on the back of each chance, you place each chance ticket into the appropriate bucket for the basket you'd like to win. You may place any combination of chance tickets into either or both buckets. The winner for each basket will be drawn on Sunday, June 9 at the CLMQG meeting, and you need not be present to win.
VI. Don't forget to make and wear your name tag!
VII. Fat quarter swap - this month's theme was "tropical colors". The theme for our June meeting is "modern floral". If you'd like to participate in June, please bring a quilt-shop quality fat quarter that features modern flowers.
VIII. Several people brought lovely and inspirational items for show and tell. Photos are posted on Flickr and on the Facebook page. Sharon Turskey brought her Scrappy Trip Around the World quilt and explained the method she used to quilt it in two separate sections. The online tutorial she used can be found here on the Venus de Hilo blog.
IX. Paige Prescott led our Improvisational Log Cabins workshop. Members pushed themselves to go outside the box when making their blocks. There was a lot of sharing of fabric and ideas at the tables. Photos of the new creations are posted on Flickr and the Facebook page. Paige issued a challenge to everyone who attended to make a finished product out of their improv blocks and bring it to our July meeting, which will feature Faith Jones of Fresh Lemons Quilts.
Recorded by Jill Smalley, Secretary