I. Other Modern Quilt Guilds in the area (Naperville, Chicago, North East Illinois) are interested in scheduling a "meet-up" during the International Quilt Festival at Rosemont June 21-23, 2013. The meet-up would take place in the evening after the show closes one day at a local restaurant or bar near the convention center. More details will be coming, but volunteers will be needed to make this happen.
II. Crystal Lake MQG memberships will begin in May, 2013. Details include:
- annual fee of $30
- membership is effective May, 2013 - April, 2014
- members may attend all meetings free of charge (additional nominal fees may apply for special workshops/classes/speakers)
- first time attendees may come to one meeting for free (unless a special workshop or speaker is scheduled, then a fee may apply), any subsequent meetings will require membership
- membership is open to anyone 18 years old and up
- Paige and Shelley are working on CLMQG documentation of By-Laws and Rules and Regulations
- The overwhelming majority of respondents indicated they are interested in learning new techniques through workshops and sew-ins, gaining inspiration and motivation from other members and guest speakers, spending time with old and new friends with similar interests, and learning about "what is modern quilting" from our new guild.
- The top 5 project ideas/areas of focus indicated were: technique/skill building workshops (90%), guest speakers/instructors (80%), monthly sew-ins (70%), community outreach/charity projects (55%), and quilt/block challenges (52%).
- Free-motion quilting, paper piecing, applique, and designing your own modern quilt were the top 4 responses to "what techniques/skills or you interested in exploring?"
- 84% of the respondents use Facebook, so we will continue to provide all communication via this website and Facebook.
Several attendees verbally indicated an interest in swaps and challenges, and these are opportunities that we would love to provide, but we need additional volunteers to make them happen. We want to make this guild everything you are hoping for, but we can't do it alone. Please contact me or Paige via Facebook, by leaving a comment here (be sure to include your name), or by emailing us to volunteer :) Thank you!
IV. Fundraising Quilt Basket Chinese Auction - Two baskets were presented containing quilting goodies donated by the following local shops:
- Material Girl
- Quilt in Joy
- Pieceful Gatherings
- Stitching on State
- Acorn Quilts
- A Touch of Amish
- Prairie Shop Quilts
- Sew Generously
- SewMod Designs (online)
At this April meeting we sold $110 in tickets which will be used to open a CLMQG bank account.
V. Fat quarter swap - this month's theme was "dots and spots". The theme for our May meeting is "tropical colors". If you'd like to participate in May, please bring a quilt-shop quality fat quarter that features tropical colors.
VI. Preview of future meetings:
- May 5 meeting (11:00-4:00) will be a workshop on improvisational piecing techniques led by Paige. Registration is required. Please check back here and on the Facebook page for registration details.
- July 14 meeting (1:00-4:00) will feature a lecture and trunk show by Faith Jones from Fresh Lemons Quilts.
- October meeting (date and time TBD) will feature a workshop on free-motion quilting led by Paige.
- November meeting (probably the 10th - date will be confirmed in August) will feature a lecture and trunk show by Jacquie Gering from Tallgrass Prairie Studio.
VIII. Several people brought lovely and inspirational items for show and tell. Photos will be posted here and on the Facebook page very soon :)
IX. Vending was provided by SewMod Designs, who brought a beautiful selection of fabrics and patterns for purchase. Thank you, SewMod!
The next meeting will be Sunday, May 5, 2013 from 11:00am - 4:00pm. A short regular business meeting will be followed by the workshop "Introduction to Improvisational Piecing" presented by Paige Prescott. Registration is required. Membership is also required for all previous meeting attendees. First time attendees may register and participate in the workshop for a fee of $5. Registration details will be posted here and on the Facebook page soon.
Thank you to all who attended the meeting. Paige and I are just thrilled at the positive, encouraging response and comments we've received regarding this new guild. We hope to see you again in May!
Recorded and filed by Shelley Nielsen.